Introduction

My name is Thakshana Yogeswaran and I am a media student at The Latymer School. My candidate number is 9179.

I am working in Group 3 with Gift Emesi (9044), Angela Chen (9025) and Monica Aghadiuno (9365)

In order to view my work please click on the 3 labels on the right named A2 Research and Planning, A2 Construction and A2 evaluation.

Group 3 - Music Video

Inside Panels

Inside Panels
Our Digipack, top left - back, top right - front, bottom left - inside panel, bottom right - inside panel (CD)
This is a link to our website, click the image above to enter our site

Saturday 10 October 2015

R+P Post 3: Music Genres That Interest Me

I listen to a range of different music genres but these would be my three favourite genres to create a music video for this year:

1. Pop

Pop music tends to have a really good beat to accompany the song along with a good bassline. Pop music can also contain a range of different sub-genres within them and they're usually open to interpretation. This means, that we can interpret a song in our own personal way and create a music video to fit what we think the song means/implies.


For example, the song 'Locked Away' by R.City ft. Adam Levine is currently in the top 10 hits in the UK. It has a mixture of reggae and dancehall music infused in the song which makes it distinctive and so addictive. When you watch the music video, there is a range of different narratives taking place throughout the video which all have different scenarios. However, R.City revealed in an interview that the song was based on a true story: 'Our dad was locked up for five years. And during the time he was gone, our mum held it down. She'd take us to see him. They're still together to this day. They've been together for 36 years. So we thought that that was a great story to write about.' When you initially watch the video, you don't really get that from it but it has a deeper, more personal meaning than anyone would have guessed.

2. Hip Hop

Hip hop is a genre that I listen to on a regular basis. I love the different styles of hip hop you can get and also the way the beat can slow down and build up again in most songs.  Again, the songs are open to interpretation and I would love to do a hip hop song for my music video.


An example of a hip hop song that I love is 'Feeling Myself' by Nicki Minaj. It has distinctive sections in the song and the slow bits can be used for a conceptual part or narrative whereas the chorus can be used for performance. She also uses intertextual referencing in her song with the line 'He in love with the coco' where she is referencing a very popular song called 'I'm in love with the coco'.

3. R&B

I also love listening to R&B music, mainly because of the beats. My favourite R&B/hip hop artist would have to be The Weeknd as his music is so unique and his voice is so distinctive. Again, I would love to do an R&B performance song for this project as it would be fun to film and also there are many amazing R&B songs out there. One that I'm loving at the moment is 'Hotline Bling' by Drake.


No comments:

Post a Comment